If you are looking for a job, you should definitely know which the most demanded professional competencies by companies are.
First of all, we should say that a competency is the capability to apply or use a set of related knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform your tasks at work. Nowadays, as the number of offered candidates is continually growing (not to say that a lot of them has quite a similar academic profile), the keys to a proper recruiting process rely on revealing the inner competencies.
- Optimism: try to show an enthusiastic and always-willing-to-help attitude. Seeing tough situations with positivity is really valued on anyone.
- Flexibility: show capacity to adapt to changes. Don’t just react, be prepared as things never stay the same.
- Team work: it is really important to get along and bond with your colleagues. If you are a “team person” you should already know that great things can be accomplished when working in a strong and committed group.
- Initiative: show that you want to learn, every day. Don’t wait for your superiors to always tell you what to do, show that you know your work and ask for help when needed.
- Loyalty: simple, be loyal to your company and culture. If you don’t really trust who you are working for, you should rethink if it’s is the right place for you.
- Leadership: can you take decisions? Do you continually motivate your team? Does people see you as a role model? Then you are a natural leader!
- Communication skills: knowing how to communicate with superiors and equals is a great asset, but alone is not enough. You should be a good listener too and take every opinion into account.
- Creativity: a creative person will bring new fresh ideas even when not asked to. Innovative and problem-solving are two of the abilities that comes with this competency.
- Transparency: be honest and clear with your words.
- Energy: give the most you can, every time.