Nowadays it is usual that recruiting processes start with a phone interview, or what HR people call: a “phone screening”. This first approach will give the recruiter a general view of every candidate to make a first decision about who will pass to the next step.
We know it may catch you by surprise: in a very bad timing, working or even sleeping; and that this can make you nervous to the point that words won’t express what you really want to say.
Follow these simple tips to succeed at a phone interview and find your next job like a professional!
- - Try to maintain calm. Answer with confidence.
- - Sometimes it’s just a first approach, not a real interview.
- - Be sure that you find a place where to take the call with a minimum comfort. If impossible, it’s always better to ask the recruiter to contact you some minutes later.
- - Show interest.
- - Always ask for a contact email and write it down.
- - Gather information about the company.
During phone interview:
- - If it’s a planned phone interview, find a place where you have silence and comfort. Be sure you are not going to be interrupted.
- - Try to remain seated, if you start walking around while talking, you will increase your nerves.
- - Have a copy of your resume close to you as well as paper to write notes.
- - When talking about your professional experience, do it in a chronological order.
- - Choose your words, meaning “sell yourself”
- - Speak calmly
- - Smile even if they can’t see you. This will be definitely be perceived.
- - Do not interrupt when your interlocutor is speaking. Wait until he/she finishes to answer.
- - Show enthusiasm through your words.
- - Write down all your doubts and ask all the questions you need.
Although a phone interview call may catch you by surprise, now you can be sure that you will make it through with no problem at all!