Have you ever considered how our working life would be if we were led by machines? Mankind has always dreamt and worked to create the perfect Artificial intelligence, although many of us are not yet aware of what this can mean to the labor market.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) can be defined as the reasoning faculty and behavioural development of a non-human being, such as robots and machines. The research on this subject is possible thanks to the development and design of techniques studied and applied by human beings. The AI is created to act as a human being, imitating its mental capacities. Therefore, machines are able to realize there is a problem, to process information and reach decisive conclusions.
Additionally, it’s important to mention that there are different kinds of artificial intelligence:
- - Systems that think like humans: They try to imitate human thought. This means they are based on the nervous system functioning.
- - Systems that act like humans: They are based on the human behavior like a robot, for instance.
- - Systems that think rationally: They are involved with human logical thinking and reason expertly when confronted with a problem.
- - Systems that act rationally: They imitate perfectly human behavior in a rational way, perceiving the environment, detecting certain incidents and acting accordingly.
Sophia the Robot, Chief Humanoid, Hanson Robotics & SingularityNET, on the Centre Stage during the opening day of Web Summit 2017 at Altice Arena in Lisbon.
Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Web Summit via Sportsfile
- Several studies regarding the use of AI in companies found that the latter have a lack of scientific capabilities to maximize the technology value. However, even if we are still far from the expansion and adoption of AI, the process of implementation is in its first phase, the planning one.
Therefore, should we consider artificial intelligence as a potential threat to our jobs? The answer is no. There is no need to fear the development of technology. Instead we should learn to live with it and to adopt the positive side that it brings. In fact, the main purpose of robots is not to replace human labor, but to facilitate and reduce the time of daily tasks so that people can focus on more important ones.
In this way, monotonous jobs such as industrial manufacturing, call centers, cashiers or security guards are more likely to be substituted by machines in the future. On the other hand, despite the possible loss of this kind of jobs, the balance gains with the increase of new job opportunities related to important technology positions, such as robotics, programing and communication between machines. Furthermore, this reality will not only affect big companies but also small businesses that wish to increase their business.
Thereby, it is possible to evolve using artificial intelligence and there are human abilities no machine can replace such as creativity and good communication. Thus, the solution is to integrate little by little, artificial intelligence into the companies’ departments. This can be done by incorporating new employees with high capacities to manage the technology revolution, despite the possible lack of demand of this kind job at first.