Senior Backend Software Engineer
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Department: IT & E-Commerce
Salary: Competitive salary
Contract: Long-term contract
XING is the social network for business professionals with millions of members all over the world. Help us shape the future - for a better working life! 14 million members worldwide use XING to meet up on our platform, find jobs, colleagues, new assignments, cooperation partners and experts.
As a Backend Developer, you will be working in the Yellow Team. You will:
-Build and extend existing backend services that power our Jobs Job Search product lines
-Work on our journey to migrate from a few monolithic services to a micro services event sourcing based architecture
-Apply and come up with best practices for continous deployment and automated testing using cutting edge technologies like Kubernetes
-Mentor your team members on best practices for backend development
We are looking for a person with the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Desirable: fluent in German
- You have experience with functional programming and concurrency concepts
- At least 5 years of backend experience
- You have experience with micro service architectures and distributed systems
- You have experience with Scala Java ecosystems, and will not be shy about delving into a Ruby codebase and contribute
- You are polyglot and know multitude of languages and can pick the right ones for the task
- Java and Scala
- You have a test-driven development mindset, and strive for building testable, predictable and simple code
- Familiar with agile methodologies and enjoys working in teams with a focus on sharing knowledge with other experts.
- You have ideally been contributing to open source projects
- You pay attention to detail without losing sight of the goal, have a sense of ownership and pride in the quality of your work
- You have a good sense of humor, an unpretentiousness and humbleness towards other people and are eager to work in a multicultural environment
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 14 million users.
- A variety of technologies and languages: Perl, Ruby on Rails, Java, Scala, Elasticsearch, REST, AMQP, Linux, Hadoop, Riak, MongoDB, MySQL, Solr, iOS, Android, Backbone.js, jQuery, Git, Jenkins…
- Regular innovation weeks.
- Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- A multicultural and diverse environment with employees from all over the world.
- Subsidised restaurant tickets, free fruit, drinks, snacks and much more.
- Company pension plan.
- Spanish and German lessons.
- Realocation pack if needed.
- A mobile device as well for private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- Competitive salary and permanent contract (“contrato indefinido”).
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- We're an Open Source contributor (https://github.com/xing) and let the world know what we're doing (https://devblog.xing.com) while also organising public user groups and coding events.
(+34) 93 231 00 00 (Ext. 288)